2016-01-23

What's your best time?

a friend remarked that it's always funny when people talk about it, because they invariably say something like "oh yeah, im not that hardcore...it takes me [x] minutes". when really, [x] is something super good like 40-45 minutes. but people don't want to say straight out that they think they have a good finish time because the person they're talking to could be even more hardcore.

i think vancouver has a weird dynamic with that stuff. it seems like everyone really likes competing with each other to see who is the most hardc0re at outdoor activities. you see people racing on the seawall or going a bit faster when they see you approach them in demo forest...even on the grouse grind, they have tags that time you and post your best time on an electronic board at the top, to see where you rank in terms of everyone else.

i'll just come out and say it: my best time for the grind is 64 minutes. i've only done it twice though and i really want to break an hour next time. 64 minutes isn't hardc0re, but i think it's respectable. we passed 21 people and 3 people passed us. – (David Chun)

------------------

Hey - What a great workout! Did the Grind on July 5th while on a business trip layover in Vancouver and what a rush. The views were great and after seeing the peaks called the Lions in the distance, I went over to Lion's Bay and hiked and climbed up to the West Lion as well. Couldn't quite summit but got as far as the second set of fixed ropes and chickened out! Truth is, the Lion was a bit cold for my t-shirt clad and tired body to safely attempt. Vancouver is a great city and I'm looking forward to doing the Grouse again.

------------------

I just finished it for the first time today. I very nice workout. Did it in 47 minutes (at 43 years old). Would like to get the time down to 43 to see is I can match my age *grin*. The amazing thing was there was a woman about 50-55 years old that did it faster than me... and looked like it as an easy pace for her... truly inspiring (I, in comparison, was soaked in sweat).

-----------------

I keep begging my hiking group to do the grind, but they keep insisting that there's lots of prettier and/or more hardcore hikes on the north shore mountains that aren't as busy and crowded.

I think i'm just gonna stick with the baden powell trail for the time being. :)

-----------------

I just finished the Grouse Grind today with my friend. We like it a lot. This is my 3rd time. I realize it's much easiler to hike on a rainy day than on a sunny day. This way you won't run out of breath.

Related Posts

What's your best time?
4/ 5
Oleh